*Does "Changes" represent Tupac's experiences growing up as a black man?

                           


Greatest Hits (Tupac Shakur album) - Wikipedia

Does "Changes" represent Tupac's experiences growing up as a black man?

The song Changes, by Tupac, shows the dark side of growing up as a black man, by shedding light on the hardships and racial injustice Tupac and other black people have had to face.  Tupac starts off by singing, "I see no changes, wake up in the morning and I ask myself. Is life worth livin'? Should I blast myself?", he shows the thought process some black people go through, wondering how they will overcome the challenges they are faced with? He sings about fighting to survive, stealing, and selling drugs to his "brothers" in order to feed himself, in these lines "My stomach hurts so I'm lookin' for a purse to snatch, "I made a G today, " but you made it in a sleazy way". Tupac also sings "Cops give a damn about a negro, Pull the trigger, kill a nigga, he's a hero", in this line he sings about racial injustice, about how blacks are treated by police, a problem which is still occurring in 2022, despite the song being released 1992. Tupac continues on and sings about always having to worry about what would happen next, he needs to always be ready, "And as long as I stay black, I gotta stay strapped "And I never get to lay back, 'Cause I always got to worry 'bout the payback". 

After listing to the song "Changes" there is a message within the lines Tupac repeats this phrase every other verse, he writes "I see no changes", telling his audience that there has not been implemented any change to make black lives easier, and how every day blacks have to deal with the same problems. After listening to this song I got a better understanding of Tupac's feelings, especially through the use of his harsh lyrics. Overall, I think this song serves a very deep meaning and displays important problems which need to be solved. 

Link to lyrics: Here












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How does "Dear Mama" describe Tupac's childhood?