How does "Dear Mama" describe Tupac's childhood?

Tupac and his family. | Tupac pictures, Tupac videos, Tupac

How does "Dear Mama" describe Tupac's childhood?

Tupac's song "Dear Mama" describes his relationship with his single mother and siblings. He sings about his younger years,  "When I was young, me and my mama had beef, Seventeen years old, kicked out on the streets". He further sings about the hard time he gave his mother, " Suspended from school, and scared to go home, I was a fool, With the big boys breakin' all the rules".  In these lines, Tupac describes himself as young and dumb, following the big boys, as he didn't have a male role model in his life. He calls his dad a "coward" for not being there, and providing him with love, therefore he " hung around with the thugs", "And even though they sold drugs, They showed a young brother love". He talks about being caught up in that life of selling drugs to earn money, even though what he was doing was illegal, he wanted to give back to his mom for everything she had done, "I ain't guilty, 'cause even though I sell rocks, It feels good puttin' money in your mailbox". Towards the final lines he thanks his mom for dealing with him and his sister, even through all the hardships they put her through, she always stood by they're side and supported them, "And there's no way I can pay you back, But my plan is to show you that I understand, You are appreciated".

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

*Does "Changes" represent Tupac's experiences growing up as a black man?